Friday, December 11, 2009
eat to beat the flu
Eating right obviously didn't prevent me from getting the common cold once the chilly weather set in. I'm writing this from home on a sick day, in my jammies, with a box of kleenex by my side. But who knows, maybe eating right will prevent the dreaded.... (insert dramatic music here) SWINE FLU!
A magazine I recently picked up had some great information about food that could be our best line of defense in the staying healthy war. These super foods have been proven to boost the immune system and fight off infection.
1. Drink Green Tea: It has powerful antioxidants to fight diseases.
2. Try Green Chilies: (i.e. serrano, jalapeno, poblano) These peppers have vitamin C and capsaicin - it's what makes your mucus membranes work, so you won't get stuffy!
3. Nibble on Oranges: One orange provides 100% of the daily value for vitamin C, strengthening your immune system.
4. Chomp on Apples: They contain antioxidants that act as a natural anti-histamine and anti-inflammatory.
5. Eat Yogurt: The 'good' bacteria in yogurt, helps pump up the immune system. This 'good' bacteria helps find a balance between the 'bad' bacteria in your belly, and studies also show it can help reduce fever, cough and runny nose.
6. Dine on Salmon: Best source of vitamin D which helps to neutralize a variety of infections bugs in your body, including the flu virus.
7. Sip Chicken Soup: It reduces mucus production, and it's an anti-inflammatory.
Who knew, food could be nature's best RX for what makes us sick. Stay well everyone!